Tuesday, October 20, 2015

DELICIOUS Healthy Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe

If youre like me you love pizza.
But dont want all the guilt that comes with it.
I have done a bit of trial and error and came up with this delicious pizza dough recipe.
One of my favorite pizza places is a small chain located where I grew up and they offer a whole wheat pizza crust. But I didnt like it at all it tasted too "whole wheaty" and the dough wasnt soft like normal pizza crust is and it just didnt have a good taste. So with that I decided if I was going to eat pizza I was going to feel guilty and just not eat it period. 
Well this was not going to work for me I LOVE pizza. Its too good not to ever have again.
So I decided to experiment and come up with my own healthier pizza dough. And I think Ive found a winner:)

This dough is just soft enough and very tasty:)

You will need:

~1 package or 1/2 tbs of yeast
~1 cup of warm water
~1/4 tsp sugar
~1 1/2 cup of oat flour
~1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
~1 tsp salt
~1/2 tsp garlic powder
~1/4-1/2 tsp rosemary(optional I liked the added hint of flavor)
~2 tbs of olive oil

Step 1~ Dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water
Step 2~ In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients
Step 3~ Add oil to the wet ingredients and mix dry ingredients in slowly (1/3 at a time)
Step 4~ Form a dough. Might be a bit dry, thats ok
Step 5~ Place dough on a sturdy surface (clean countertop) dust with any of the two flours and kneed for just a couple minutes. If the dough is dry it should come together the more you kneed.
Step 6~ Form dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel or clingwrap. Let rise for no less than 30 minutes. The longer the better. I wait about an hour.
Step 7~ Dough should double in size. Take dough out and divide into 4 seperate balls or two if you want bigger pizzas. (1/4 of the dough could be one mans serving I ate half of that size, my boyfriend ate a whole pizza himself.) Cover cover the balls and let sit for about 10 min to set and rise a bit more
Step 8~ Roll out dough to desired size. (not too thin not too thick) Place on a greased pan you can also sprinkle the pan with corn meal to make it more like a pizzaria style.
Step 9~ Add your favorite pizza sauce and toppings to the dough. Dont go too heavy on the sauce or it will turn out soggy. Just a nice layer is fine.
Step 10~ BAKE FOR 9-12 MIN ***(this time is in my toaster oven might be as much as 20-25 min in a conventional oven, Im not 100% sure)*** depending on your oven and the size of the pizzas. It should be golden and the cheese just getting a bit brown on top.

**Place any extra dough in a ziplock bag with the air squeezed out. You can store it in the fridge and set it on the counter an hour before you plan to use it. Or freeze them and let thaw either overnight or 12 hours.

This dough is so tasty.
I know that all the sauce and cheese arent too "health conscious" but the dough is the main thing Im worried about I steer clear of white and bleached flours. They really have no health benefits. This isnt something Id eat every day but when Im craving pizza its perfect. 
I made my boyfriend an alternative to this recipe without whole wheat and oat flour. He enjoyed it:) Ill be putting that recipe up soon. 
Im so happy I figured this out and Im going to keep finding alternatives to my not so healthy "food loves". And Ill be sure to share them with you:)
Thanks for reading and let me know if youve tried it and also if you have any tips or twists to the recipe that might be better:)
thanks:) 
jclove
<3



No comments:

Post a Comment